Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Sensitivity training perhaps...?

Now as most of you who have been reading my blogs this year know I don't like to do a lot of complaining. For a moment today I'm letting it out. A bit of a vent if you like!

I realize that many people traveling through airports are off on exotic and much needed vacations or they're returning from the time of their lives on an island somewhere, I also realize that the security staff in airports are usually doing the best they can in a situation that isn't all that fun for anyone.

So today I did my part, I took off my shoes, belt, jewelry, and jacket, I pulled my laptop out of the bag, and I had already bagged all of my medications in clear bags (this includes thee plethora of refills that I get on these visits to MD) and placed them in their own tray too. I do all of this in hopes of not requiring a bag check and the delay this requires. Alas, I was required to stop for a bag check. Here, again, I would like to acknowledge the difficult situation that these security folks are in BUT would it be possible to show a teeny bit of compassion for the traveler who clearly wasn't on vacation and clearly is dealing with something medical (that any idiot could identify as serious by quantity of meds alone)? Would it be possible to pause for just a moment and think to one's security self "wow, it looks like this lady has been through a lot already, maybe I shouldn't give her attitude"? It's not as though I travel with all these meds just to annoy the security people, I don't get any joy in slowing down the line as I pull everything out of the right bag and I really don't love the nasty attitude! So there is my vent for the day.

To all the security guards out there who remember to smile and recognize that everyone is walking in their own set of shoes (not at security of course) but with their own set of life's issues, thank you, I appreciate each of you. And to those of you in the security business who think that me and my medication are there to make your life harder, please step back and imagine what it must be like to take all of those medications. Lastly, on a side note, I will not complain about taking those medications for the simple reason that I am here living life and I get to take them.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! But Lisa, I will remind you of Adam's post on Caring Bridge and the fact that you may not be the person you pretend to be:)

    Seriously though, these people are supposed to be GOOD at assessing situations and people! Plus, I have always thought that there is no reason why Airport Security can't maintain a proffesional, composed, maybe even pleasant (?) attitude while carrying out their duties. There is nothing that says "Welcome to the United States" then a miserable woman screaming "I said, MOVE FORWARD!" or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth:

    OK, so this response may not really go with your post above, but I'm putting it here anyway! (NYAH NYAH!!)

    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, but I just wanted you to know how wonderful it was to see you that day at school. I didn't know you would be there but like I told you, it made my day! What a great surprise that was! You look great (really!!)

    I want you to know that the inner strength that you (and your entire family, on both sides) continue to display is nothing short of inspirational. Let me tell you, this strength is truly a gift, and in the hands of people like yourself, it's the best kind of gift -- you know, the kind that keeps on giving. :-)

    Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you at all times. Take care and I know we'll continue to hear good news!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete