Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

A weekend to love living!

I am certain that I could give a reason everyday to remember to appreciate, love, and not take for granted your life.  Right now, however, I want to tell you about my weekend and how it reminded me to appreciate, love, and not take for granted each day that I live.  If I have counted correctly then Friday was day +143 post transplant and I started the day with a three mile bike ride with Grace on the back in her seat.  To be totally honest the start was a touch ungraceful and resulted with a bruise here and there (on me not Grace) but the ride itself was incredible!  The wind, and the sun (not to worry I wore  plenty of sun screen and long sleeves) and Grace beyond me shouting "Faster Mommy Faster!"  It was perfect!  And it was something that not that many weeks ago I'm not sure I could or would have attempted and not that many months ago feared I would never be able to do.

Saturday morning I got up early to meet the Team in Training Winter Team out of Boston.  I was asked to be their "Patient Ambassador", basically putting a face to the disease that they are running and fundraising for.  I'm not wild about the term "Patient Ambassador" and mentioned that Saturday morning so it was suggested that we could use "Honored Hero"...I like it.  I had the opportunity to say a few words to the team before their run about the past year and about what Team in Training has meant to me.  I hope it was interesting to them as it was a positive experience for me.  I look forward to visiting at future practices and cheering these runners on while they work to help support research to find a cure for Leukemia and Lymphoma.  On a side note, if anyone has any interest in more information about Team in Training or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society please don't hesitate to email me. 

My Saturday afternoon was spent with a mini shopping spree at Old Navy...you can't beat 30% off with 5% of my sales going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  And since chemo and my transplant left me several sizes smaller than I was it is necessary to periodically add to the new wardrobe!  The rest of the afternoon was spent by the condo pool with Grace.  I under an umbrella while Grace managed to con several different neighbors to play with her in the water.  Thank you to each and every one of them!  We ended the evening having dinner by the pool with friends and neighbors, perfect!

Today, day +145 included a trip to see and ride on Thomas the Tank Engine, a carousel ride, and Grace's first amusement ride by herself.  She was quite the pilot of the Red Baron plane ride!  And lastly, this evening Adam and I enjoyed a dinner out followed by a concert that included The Blind Boys of Alabama and Dr. John and the Lower 911!  It was an incredible show!

So, my challenge to you as you begin a new week and a new Monday is to find the reason (or many reasons) to appreciate, love, and not take for granted the day you have been given.

2 comments:

  1. whoa, you were busy this past weekend. Good for you!!! Doesn't it feel amazing to start to get your energy back? Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenge accepted Lisa! Today I got Rowen to take three naps in his crib. Huge success for the boy who was on strike against napping. I am grateful for this day for the giant leap it contains. Keep writing, and enjoy your day!
    xoxo Sheila

    ReplyDelete