Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Benedryl Fog

It will be so nice to have a day or two when something totally bizarre doesn't happen to me.  But alas yesterday was not that day.  Last night while watching some TV with Adam I decided to try some of the cashews that he was munching on.  Turns out, this was a bad idea!  Apparently I have what looks like a cashew allergy and was lucky enough to spend about 4 hours at the emergency room with my neighbor and friend John.  We left Adam at home to be here for his own sleep and in case Grace were to wake up...no need to freak her out so soon after a year of many freaked out moments.  Up to this point in my life I have never been allergic to any food and thus the reaction was a little weird to identify at first.  I just kept sitting on the couch saying "something isn't quite right".  I finally gave a call to the transplant unit down at NIH (you've got to love that when I call a Doctor it isn't the one who is 20 minutes away but instead I call the one who is 10+ hours away...what can I say, I trust my team above all else).  The transplant unit said in no uncertain terms that I was to get to the emergency room even if it meant calling 911.  For those of you who have been to my house you know that calling 911 on the phone would almost be silly, we could probably just yell across the street and call them that way.  So at this point we're unsure if its only cashews (oddly enough I had a peanut better sandwich for lunch yesterday and had no problem whatsoever) or how it may or may not be related to my GVHD but NIH is looking into such things for me. 
Today has been a great day so far despite the slight benedryl fog that I am in!  Grace hasn't seemed to notice it so I suppose that's a good thing.  Hope all are well.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good scare on a Tuesday night. Can't recall the last time there was a "normal" trip to the emergency room... was this one? Normalcy without hospitals could be nice :)

    - Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, no more cashews. It was brave of you to give the peanut butter a try, but I fully understand that it is hard to ignore a peanut butter craving! By the way, I have started updating a blog, please feel free to visit if you have time. I have some photos and some thoughts on there. Hope you are feeling well tonight!

    ReplyDelete