Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Who I am...Post #2

I am a mom.

And if I do say so myself, a pretty darn good one.  When I was pregnant with Grace I spent almost the entire nine months with my hand on my belly and a smile on my face.  I wasn't one of those creepy mother to be's who swear they feel great all the time and what an amazing thing this is and oh look at me I am a vessel.  No, I was simply happy (not always so happy with morning sickness) but happy nonetheless.  We did not find out if we were having a boy or a girl until the doctor announced it in the delivery room upon Grace's arrival.  We didn't need nor really want to know ahead of time...10 fingers and 10 toes seemed good enough for us (to be honest I would have been ok with 9 toes).  We had selected a name for either option and although everyone, and I do mean everyone, assumed I would be having a boy, choosing the name Grace was the easiest decision we have ever made.  Then on June 21st, 2007 we welcomed her (8 days late) into our world and she was and continues to be Grace, in every way imaginable.  She is 3 now and just this morning while I was trying to get her from naked to clothed and she was trying to check out her underwear in the mirror she turned to me and said (with a straight face) "Mom, I'm doing something, just settle down!"  3 going on 25!

I give Grace a great deal of credit for who she is today and who she is becoming but I am also smart enough to know that Adam and I get to take a great deal of credit too.  We make our mistakes but we do the best that we can.  We love our little girl with every breath that we take and she knows it.

This Who I Am post is obviously about something other than my past year but I must quickly comment that Grace has weathered this year with a spirit and strength that would make any parent proud.  She, without a doubt, got a raw deal at a very young age but dealt with it and smiles at me everyday.  So today my Who I Am post is simple:

I am Grace's Mom...and I love every minute of it.

1 comment: