Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bring on the positive!

When you've had a year like the one I have just experienced it is hard not to wait for "the other shoe to drop".  This is why every time I see my transplant Doctor I ask him "Do you still think I'm going to live to be old?" and every time he smiles and says yes and then I think he hopes I don't start to cry!

I had a fairly simple day at NIH today but a whole lot of waiting so a pretty long day.  I started with bloodwork (took 2 sticks but they got what they needed), then a visit with the OB-GYN, few details need sharing here, but the basics is that I signed onto a research protocol that they are doing to learn more about the Gardisil vaccine, specifically in women who have undergone a bone marrow transplant.  So no one starts to worry that there is something else wrong with me...there isn't.  I signed up because I am here today because other people were willing to sign up for research and if my doing this protocol helps to save a life in the future than by all means I'm on board.  After that appointment was my CT scan...an exercise in hurry up and wait, and wait, and wait for a scan that took all of 3 minutes (if that long).  I then grabbed a quick lunch and headed up early to the Doctor's office where I inhaled my food while talking with a patient who will be having the same transplant as I did and is in prep mode (it looks like his transplant will be in January).  He and I have been in contact via email and phone and it was great to meet him in person, I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting his wife tomorrow.

Now onto more waiting, and waiting, and waiting.  But this waiting was well worth it, here is what I learned today: my CT scan showed no changes in size or shape (this is a good thing) just a small mass of scar tissue in my chest, my bloodwork looks good and when I get home I can start having it done every other week instead of every week!  My next visit to NIH isn't for another 8 weeks and they don't plan on doing any type of scan until next April!  Lastly, they've dropped some of the dosages of some of my medications and as I said before reiterated that I'm going to get to grow old!  I may be forgetting some things here but I'm really just so excited about it all.  The other shoe didn't drop and its always nice to hear from the team how great I look and how wonderfully they feel I'm doing!

Lastly, I had a wonderful dinner with a great friend that I have met through all of this and if she reads this I want to thank her again for making the time for me.  Its always great to see her!

So, give the ones you love a big giant hug and as Thanksgiving approaches remember to be thankful everyday even the days that seem to stink.

5 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL NEWS! I will have a great day after reading this Lisa. I need to catch up on all of your other posts, as well as finish up one of my own....hopefully this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this... after what i deem an extremely crappy morning, it def helps perspective wise... have a great weekend and so happy to hear you continue to kick butt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better late than never.

    Thank you! As you can see, better at time with friends than time on the web. Although I try to do both, I am sorry I am not better at it/them (?).

    How did your protocol review session go? I assume you were held hostage in your hotel. Hopefully it was fun - I am sure you added a lot to the review process.

    Looking forward to our next dinner celebration of more good news. We will be in touch before then I am sure.

    xo - N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and you look mahvelous!

    ReplyDelete