Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

'Tis the Season

This morning began like most mornings in our house these days...Grace did not sleep all that late and in fact awoke before me (this actually never happens).  I snuggled her into our bed and headed to take a shower.  Moments into my shower (right about when I started thinking how nice it is to shower without having a conversation with a small child), I heard the bathroom door open and there was Grace peering around the shower curtain.  "Mommy, is it ok if I go in my bedroom and get the bible so I can read Daddy the stories about Baby Jesus?"  "Of course sweetie, Daddy will love that."  My daughter is 3.5, has dealt with the last year with poise and strength and now at Christmas time wants to read about Baby Jesus with her Daddy.  Does it get any better than that?! 
This time of year, as many of us well know, is filled with Santa Claus, shopping, wrapping, and gifts.  It can be hectic and stressful and many people forget to slow down and really enjoy the season.  This year we are still buying and wrapping gifts and with that brings dealing with the crazies at the various stores but I have learned something post cancer and that is truly what the real gifts are.  It was a gift to me this morning to hear my daughter ask such a genuine and heartfelt request.  Each day is a gift (I know...cliche...but true), no matter what your health or life is throwing at you. 
'Tis the season to remember what is important and to reflect on why it is important.  Take a moment and look at what you are buying for others and think about how that gift is a reflection of your love and caring...perhaps the gift of time or some well spoken words would be gift enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment