Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stem Cell Donors

A little over eight months ago I was the recipient of a stem cell transplant.  I was lucky.  My sister, Amanda, was a full match and as it turns out has an amazing immune system.  The doctor's have been amazed by my progress each step of the way and I can say with certainty that the transplant saved my life.  Many patients needing a stem cell transplant do not have sibling or familial matches and must rely on the national bone marrow registry to, hopefully, find a strong enough match.  Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't.  I have even heard stories of matched donors backing out at the last minute.  In my case there was no way my donor would back out...I am her older sister after all and would have kicked her butt! 

Tonight on CBS Evening News I saw the story of Matt Hoffman (a stem cell match and donor) and Warren Sallach (the stem cell recipient). 
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/17/eveningnews/main7160923.shtml?tag=cbsnewsTwoColUpperPromoArea
This is an inspiring story of a football team doing the right thing, a young man being asked to give, and the life of a father being saved.  Please read the story.

This holiday season you too could sign up to possibly save a life.  The procedure is practically painless and nothing like the way it used to be done (no more big needles into your bones).  Take the few minutes to take a look at http://www.marrow.org/   and strongly think about becoming a donor.  You could give the gift of life to another human being...is there a better gift than that?

Thank you Amanda, for your gift.  Merry Christmas to all!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing gift to give someone this holiday season. I have never donate marrow but I am an experienced blood donor, and it has been far too long since I've done this. 1 pint saves 3 lives! Interested in learning more about the marrow donation process too!

    ReplyDelete