Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

1 doctor, 2 doctors, 3 doctors, 4.....

I'm sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office for an appointment with a new doctor.  These days I do my best to avoid adding new doctor's to my contact list but sometimes it is unavoidable.  Fortunately, this visit is a simple primary care physician change.  It was time to try a new office, an office with a doctor and staff that have a great deal of experience caring for cancer survivors.  On my way here, while sitting in traffic, I was trying to count the number of physician phone numbers are programed into my phone...not to worry, I wasn't actually looking at the phone, but instead trying to think of all the names from memory.  This exercise proved to be more difficult than I imagined.  First of all, my memory stinks.  Between age and residual chemo brain, I'm often lucky if I can remember what I ate for breakfast.  Second of all, the list seems to go on and on and on...

There is a primary care physician, an ob-gyn, my dentist, a thoracic surgeon, more than one research nurse, multiple oncologists, primary nurses pharmacists, a transplant coordinator, and who knows how many others that I met in the medical field throughout my cancer nightmare whom I now consider friends and keep in touch with.  And on and on and on....

Fortunately, I have been blessed with world class medical care and as a result I'm still here to complain about the number of doctors with phone numbers in my contact list.  Anyway, here I am waiting to meet yet another doctor.  Keep your fingers crossed that this is another one to put permanently in the list.  We can all use good people looking out for us, even if it isn't always easy to remember all of there names.

No comments:

Post a Comment