Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

2 years and counting...

Yesterday was April 6th and marked 2 years since my stem cell transplant at The National Institute of Health.  On Thursday, the 5th, I had bloodwork done, a PET scan, and a CT scan.  Bloodwork was "perfect" according to my doctor.  And my scans showed continued calcification in the 2 masses of scar tissue left in my body.  For those wondering, calcification is a good thing, a very good thing.  There was a teeny bit of uptake on the PET scan at the bottom of the mass in my chest but seems to be the result of inflammation due to the never-ending cough and cold that I have been fighting.  It was sort of amazing to look at a scan with activity (even a small amount) and not feel panic or dread or even fear.  I wasn't sure that I would ever look at a scan again and not be terrified.  I guess when you trust your medical team as I have learned to trust mine then you slowly, very slowly, learn to keep these things in perspective.  Whatever it is, perspective or time or a combination of the two, it was truly a pleasure to walk out of my appointment with my team and feel really good about my scans.

So, its been 2 years since they put my sister's immune system into my body.  It is still nutty to me that that is even possible!  I no longer have cancer activity in my body nor the reality that I could die very soon.  Instead, I have life and love and unending hope.  I also seem to have "inherited" seasonal allergies but I'm ok with that!

Best,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. CATIE and Mike OlinskiApril 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM

    What a post! A miracle! What great news on this Easter Sunday! Love to you, Adam and Grace! Today and always, we will celebrate and thank God for your good health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    I am not a blogger and have never visited a blog-site before in my life. I had been trying to find your blog off and on for the past 17 months, ever since my wife of 29 years was diagnosed with the same type of cancer you had. Thanks to our neighbor, your sister/donor Amanda, we learned of NIH. Since December 2011 my wifes' path has followed yours - complete with the same incredible Clinical trials, same Incredible Doctors, same Incredible Nurses and CNA's. Drs. H and F are entusiastic about the latest CT Scans and we are anxiously awaiting the PET Scan, things are looking good, much, much better than even 4 months ago. Thanks for stopping by to visit with us at NIH and, from me, a big thanks to your husband Adam. As one care giver to another his words and demeanor comforted me. THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE.

    ReplyDelete