Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

How many times in our lives do we think of "today" as the first day of the rest of our lives?  I know I thought that when I graduated from high school, and again at college graduation.  I certainly thought that my wedding day was the first day of the rest of my life and the day my daughter was born (exactly 4 years ago) was without a doubt the first day of the rest of my life.  At each of these occasions I was sure that this was it, the real beginning, the time I had been waiting for to get my life going. 

On April 6, 2010 I actually experienced the first day of what will hopefully be the very long and healthy rest of my life.  Doctors in more than one hospital were fairly certain that I had less than three months to live.  Fortunately, a team of doctors in Maryland said lets transplant her anyway.  I was young and they wanted to give me a chance.  It turns out it was just what I needed, a chance with a new immune system.

Today, every day is the first day.  Everyday is a day to wake up and make choices about my life.  Everyday is the beginning of something amazing.

Is today the first day of your life or are you waiting for the that day to come along?  It is already here, my friend, embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment